US Activists Mobilize against Restrictions on Cuba Travel

Washington, Aug 16 (Prensa Latina) Cubans resident in the United States and nongovernmental organizations have sent thousands of letters, faxes, and e-mails to the White House expressing opposition to a bill that would restore restrictions on travel to Cuba, according to news reports Tuesday.

Despite all the messages, an amendment to a House budget law sponsored by Florida Republican Mario Diaz-Balart was “still a threat,” according to commentator Alvaro F. Fernandez of Radio Progreso in Miami.

The Diaz-Balart amendment seeks to return to the Bush era, when Cuban-Americans could only travel to Cuba to visit their families once every three years, Fernandez added.

Last month, the White House declared it did not support the amendment and that President Barack Obama would veto it if contained language on Cuba, Fernandez said.

The amendment would also limit family remittances to $300 per quarter and strictly define who was a family member.

Following Diaz-Balart, other members of Congress such as Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, David Rivera, and others, are insisting on the restoration of Draconian measures, Fernandez said.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s