Havana, (Prensa Latina) A building constructed in 1926 in Havana’s western neighbourhood of Miramar called “La Casa de las Tejas Verdes” (The House of the Green Tiles) now emerges as a center for the promotion of modern architecture, urban renewal and interior design.
In statements to Prensa Latina, the center’s director, Concepcion Gutierrez, said specialists coincide on the fact the house has an exceptional, compact architecture that is different from the rest of the mansions in the area that began to be built at the beginning of the 20th Century.
They say the most outstanding attribute of the building lies on its inclined pendent roofs, crowned by green tiles, with an eccentric appearance.
The building was constructed by architect Jorge Luis Echarte, and deteriorated through the years. After the death of its last occupant, the City Historian’s Office began its restoration.
The restored building was presented with the 2010 National Restoration Award. The center fosters new projects, linked to architecture, and the relation of children, young people and adults to the knowledge about modern architecture.
Visits, conferences by specialists and other activities characterize the work of the institution, where past and present are melted in harmony, using space, artistic pieces, furniture and other elements.
Located in Miramar’s Quinta Avenida the house has an entrance hall, four rooms, seven bathrooms, a kitchen, a dining-room, a living-room and a conference room, where employees used to sleep.
Besides, it has two stairs, an office that can be used as a library and a garden with a contemporary design. This part did not belong to the building originally.